Re: [sl4] Complete drivel on this list: was: I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity.

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 10:38:44 MDT

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 08:48:04AM -0700, John K Clark wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 "Robin Lee Powell" <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org>
> said:
>
> > the only reason I responded to him at all is that we've had a
> > lot of newbies in here lately and I didn't want his crap to go
> > unanswered.
>
> Then why don't you answer some of my crap, it should be easy and
> fun to make me look like a fool, after all its just crap. Instead
> you just shrug your shoulders when I show that mathematicians have
> known for 75 years that a fixed goal mind won't work;

People have tried to explain to you, several times now, that neither
Turing's work nor Goedel's work implies anything of the kind. I
don't see why I should spend my time trying again when it's obvious
you aren't prepared to listen.

Having derived both results from scratch during my math/CS degree in
my youth, there's no question in my mind that what you're saying
makes no sense whatsoever.

Seperately, until and unless you've actually formalized what you're
saying (in parcticular, what a "fixed goal mind" means) *as math*
and shown *as a mathematical proof* how they can't work, it's all
just talk anyways.

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm  thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something