RE: [sl4] I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity.

From: Bradley Thomas (brad36@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 11 2009 - 10:59:21 MDT

If humans are included as part of the goal-setting system (by virtue of our
ability to reboot the AGI or otherwise affect its operation) then some of
our goal-setting will inevitably leak onto the AGI. We'll tweak/reboot it as
this suits our own goals.

I'd argue that so long as humans can get new information to the AGI, humans
are part of its goal setting system. The high level goals of the AGI are not
immune to interference from us. No matter how secure the AGI's high level
goals supposedly are, we could conceive of ways to manipulate them.

For example imagine an AGI with the top level goals of alternately curing
world poverty one day and assisting big business the next. Come midnight,
the AGI switches over no matter how successful its been the previous day.
Sounds fair so far... Until one day Acme MegaGyroscopes figures out that it
can change the rate of spin of the earth...

Brad Thomas
www.bradleythomas.com
Twitter @bradleymthomas, @instansa