[sl4] Re: Netanyahu at UN, sounding like Kurzweil

From: Aleksei Riikonen (aleksei@iki.fi)
Date: Sat Oct 10 2009 - 12:36:24 MDT

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 8:59 PM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0@gmail.com> wrote:

> The question, I think, is whether this is one leader being idiosyncratic -
> such as Lee Kuan Yew's love of eugenics - or whether this is another
> indication of how transhumanist ideas & viewpoints are filtering out &
> becoming mainstream.

I don't think premiers of major players in world politics go in front
of the UN General Assembly to show off personal peculiarities. Their
speeches are the results of careful strategic and rhetorical crafting
by a larger pool of people.

I am reminded, by the way, that the Class President of the first class
of Singularity University students was "a senior adviser to the
President of Israel". But that was indeed the *President*, i.e. Shimon
Peres, not Prime Minister Netanyahu. But I guess it can't be ruled out
that said advisor
(http://singularityu.org/people/gsp-09-students/yonatan-adiri/) would
have been involved in crafting this speech as well.

--
Aleksei Riikonen - http://www.iki.fi/aleksei