Re: [sl4] I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 30 2009 - 14:20:49 MDT

From: Giulio Prisco (2nd email) <eschatoon@gmail.com>
> I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity
>
> http://cosmi2le.com/index.php?/site/i_am_a_singularitian_who_does_not_believe_in_the_singularity/

I assume you mean that the singularity is a bad idea, rather than that the singularity is not going to happen.

Such arguments seem to hinge on whether we *become* the gray goo that replaces humans, or whether we simply become extinct. The point is irrelevant. It is only your evolved fear of death and belief in consciousness that attaches importance to the question.
 -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com