Re: [sl4] Bob and Cryonics

From: BillK (pharos@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 15 2009 - 16:58:20 MDT

On 9/15/09, Joshua Fox wrote:
> This is more SL3 than SL4, but as I am not a member of the Extropian list, I
> wonder if anyone can shed light on a point of idle curiosity.
>
> The Great Mambo Chicken, page 106, describes a television repairman from
> Florida named Bob being frozen cryonically in 1988.
>
> Bob Nelson, a television repairman from California, was an early cryonics
> activist, most famous for the Chatsworth Disaster in the late 1960s.
>
> Bob Nelson seems to be alive and kicking, long after 1988, as for example in
> the recent This American Life episode.

As you say Bob Nelson appears to still be alive in 2009, so it wasn't
him that was frozen in 1988.

I don't know the description from Mambo Chicken, but it is probably
referring to this case, described by Alcor as the freezing of Bob on
May 8, 1988.
They kept the surname private to protect the family's privacy.
<http://www.alcor.org/cryonics/cryonics8806.txt>

BillK