Re: [sl4] Re: zero to Shock Level 4 in 20 minutes

From: Joshua Fox (joshua@joshuafox.com)
Date: Tue Aug 25 2009 - 01:54:35 MDT

Aleksei,

> You would do well to try to learn from e.g. Nick Bostrom's style of going
about things.
How would you describe the important aspects of that style?

For my part, I find quite a few people who accept the basic argument about
FAI as reasonable, although they rarely then proceed to considering it as
urgent. The other common response is to consider the whole thing to far out
to be worth considering for long --- as if I told them that it essential
define our ethical and practical approach to future encounters with
extraterrestrial alien species _now_, before it is too late.

Joshua