[sl4] Re: studying at the School of Informatics in University of Edinburgh

From: Roko Mijic (rmijic@googlemail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 13 2009 - 08:59:44 MDT

2009/3/13 Rui Costa <racosta@student.dei.uc.pt>

> I agree with you and I think that the good side surpasses a lot the bad
> one.

Well, it's a weighty matter. Doing AGI/FAI research is undoubtedly a risk to
your scientific career. If you like a quiet life... then it probably isn't
worth it. If, like me, you have always been an iconoclast, and always wanted
to question things, to find out what is really important in science, then it
is the perfect challenge!

> I also want to do research in AI/AGI with a strong brain science basis.
> Therefore I believe that one of the best options in this moment of my career
> is to enter in a doctoral program about neuroinformatics and computational
> neuroscience (like the one in Edinburgh). With this background I will be
> prepared to perform research about neuroscience and artificial intelligence
> in projects that attempt to create true intelligence.

Sure, you could do this. My opinion is that learning neuroscience is a waste
of your time. You'd be better off to learn the functional input output
behavior of the human brain (this is *cognitive science*) than learning
about the internal wiring. Read Minsky's emotion machine to find out about
this.

Another great resource is Josh Tenebaum on hierarchical Bayesian models for
structure learning, which he relates to the learning behavior of infants.
Again, this is cognitive science, not neuroscience.

A third source of inspiration is Ben Goertzel's general theory of general
AI, and Shane and Marcus' agent/environment interaction framework.

Others will probably disagree with me...

--
Roko Mijic
MSc by Research