Re: [sl4] Is the Global Stockmarket a neural network?

From: Kaj Sotala (xuenay@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 15:17:10 MDT

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Petter Wingren-Rasmussen
<petterwr@gmail.com> wrote:
> After reading Simulation, Consciousness, Existence by Hans Moravec. I
> started thinking about possible neural networks that already exists, outside
> of brains and computers..
>
> I think the Global stockmarket can be viewed as a neural network. Comparing
> it to the brain:

A "neural network" is a certain type of mathematical model. It's
pretty obvious that the stock market is not a neural network in any
sense that doesn't stretch the original term to the point of breaking.
(What exactly are the stock market's equivalents of neurons, and what
corresponds to the weigths of their connections?)

However, the stock market *is* an information-processing system, and
it can also be viewed as a form of mental architecture. See for
instance http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.33.6906