Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?.

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 06 2009 - 08:42:35 MST

--- On Fri, 3/6/09, Stuart Armstrong <dragondreaming@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Consciousness need not be a binary quantity. Same goes for identity.
> And consciousness need not have anything to do with zombies - I
> believe that consciousness exists, and that Zombies are impossible.

If you define consciousness so that it is testable (conscious = awake), then you can always create a machine that can pass whatever test you specify. If the test returns a score rather than a yes/no answer (a dog is more conscious than a fish), then that is little comfort to someone who asks "will I wake up as my upload?"

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com