Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 10:21:32 MST

Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Subjectively you have a 1/2 chance of suffering when faced
> non-destructive teleportation with painful killing of the original.

I think the reason people are getting so confused over this is not that
they come up with the wrong answer, the problem is that they come up
with the wrong question. The correct question is “What is the
probability that after I step into that teleportation booth I will
conclude that I am being tortured?” The answer of course is 100%. If the
question was “What is the probability that I will NOT be tortured the
answer would also be 100%.

And the answers would be exactly the same if the one who was painfully
killed was the copy not The High Holy Original.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm