Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?.

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 10:04:30 MST

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 "Krekoski Ross"
<rosskrekoski@gmail.com> said:

> I think your position is that mental continuity is an illusion,
> or that subjective conscious experience is an illusion

Consciousness is a subjective experience and so is illusion; so calling
consciousness an illusion doesn’t mean anything. Without consciousness
there can be no illusions.

> My question is what mechanism is responsible
> for this illusion of continuity?

I my brain stops it cannot form new memories, so when it starts up again
the universe will appear to me to have suddenly jumped. There is no way
I can tell if my mind continued smoothly and the universe jumped or if
the universe proceeded smoothly and my mind stopped for a while. There
is no reason to care either.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark