Re: [sl4] A hypothesis for what our world might simulate

From: Stuart Armstrong (dragondreaming@googlemail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 08:25:03 MST

One problem that springs to mind is that if we want to know how humans
would react as superhuman AI's, we need to run them as superhuman AI's
(a nice neighbour is not a nice supreme president in charge of the
world). Thus we'd need to ensure the simulation was believable enough
to deceive a superhuman AI (very tricky, as we can't use superhuman
AI's ourselves) and take the usual precautions to 'keep the AI in the
box (the simulated universe)'. Which is nearly impossible (and recall
that a superhuman AI who merely suspects it might be in a box, may
divert a small part of its energies to getting out of it - enough to
convince us, anyway).

Stuart