Re: [sl4] Rolf's gambit revisited

From: Peter de Blanc (peter@spaceandgames.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 15:07:45 MST

Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Peter de Blanc <peter@spaceandgames.com> wrote:
>> I think "X simulates Y, therefore K(X) > K(Y)," is pretty unambiguous in its
>> meaning, and it's wrong.
>
> Well, given the context, I did read it as equivalent to your "it
> wouldn't be possible to pick out just one program of high Kolmogorov
> complexity, and only pay attention to it, while you yourself have low
> Kolmogorov complexity" :-)

He never said anything like that, and if he did, then I don't see how it
applies to an AI. Wouldn't an AI consider lots and lots of hypotheses,
rather than just one pre-programmed, complex hypothesis?

> On the other hand, as I said, the inequality needs to be non-strict
> (>=), so there's no contradiction.

No, the statement is still wrong, even with a non-strict inequality.
I'll mention again the example of a program which simulates every
possible program.