Re: [sl4] Rolf's gambit revisited

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 05:43:22 MST

2009/1/6 Greg Perkins <gregp@mit.edu>:

> The provision of detailed plans of one's own inner workings and the universe
> in which one exists would be good evidence for one's existence being
> engineered (created / programmed / designed / ...) by another.
>
> If one knows with high probability that one was engineered by an entity B,
> then one must trust B's communicated simulation threats over others'.
> Exceptions would be when some third entity C can either
> (1) present a credible claim to responsibility for the engineering of *B*,
> or
> (2) refute B's evidence for one's own creation.

Yes, but the important component of Pascal's Wager is that there is no
rational reason to believe that you were made by B. As I understood
it, that was also a requirement for Rolf's Gambit. Now, if it seems
likely that there is *some* God, as evidenced by the tuba, does that
mean it would be rational to obey a *particular* God, assuming neither
the tuba nor anything else point to any particular God as being more
likely?

--
Stathis Papaioannou