Re: [sl4] Rolf's gambit revisited

From: Peter de Blanc (peter@spaceandgames.com)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 20:20:56 MST

Mike Dougherty wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Peter de Blanc <peter@spaceandgames.com> wrote:
>> Matt Mahoney wrote:
>>
>>> False. If X simulates Y, then K(X) > K(Y) because X has an exact model of
>>> the mental state of Y. This implies that Y cannot also simulate X because it
>>> would require K(Y) > K(X).
>> Matt, please stop posting pseudomathematics.
>>

> Seriously? K is http://www.google.com/search?q=kolmogorov+complexity
>
> You might as well say, "Matt, please stop posting rational statements"

My objection is to the statement "If X simulates Y, then K(X) > K(Y)."
There's no such theorem. For example, you could write a program which
simulates every possible program. This program would have some fixed
complexity K, but since it simulates every program, it will simulate
some with complexity >K.