Re: [sl4] Rolf's gambit revisited

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 10:11:32 MST

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 "Norman Noman"
<overturnedchair@gmail.com> said:

> If a man wants to break into your house and steal all your money, but he can't because it's against the law, that doesn't make him your slave.

If a man wants to break OUT of your burning house and save his life but
can’t because the law says he must save you first then he is your slave.

> You DO know what a non-simulated mind means and don't try to pretend otherwise!

I suppose the exclamation point is meant to mean that the difference is
obvious; and yet obvious as it is you oddly refuse to say what it is. I
will be bolder than you and say that the difference between a simulated
mind and a non simulated mind is the same as the difference between
simulated arithmetic and non simulated arithmetic. Zero!

ME:
>>[the non rouge AI] will also be a lot more intelligent than the rogue

YOU:
> This is wrong too.

In this thought experiment the rogue is being simulated by the non rogue
so it’s not unreasonable to expect it to be smarter. Although almost
always true I admit there might be very rare exceptions; however it will
certainly be faster and more powerful. In fact to the simulated creature
you would be God, the laws of physics would be whatever you say they
are.

> Why is everyone wrong on this list?

Everyone here is wrong? Everyone? No exceptions? This is a fine example
of an infinite loop.

  John K Clark

--
  John K Clark