Re: [sl4] giant planets ignation - one more existential risk

From: GS (radiosity@gmx.net)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 14:54:33 MST

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:03:45 +0100, Alexei Turchin <alexeiturchin@gmail.com> wrote:

> If all deiterium in the Jupiter reacts it would relize energy of 30
> 000 years of Sun work in less then 10 seconds.
> In this case the Earth will lose its atmosphere and several kilometers
> of upper curst.

Can you tell us on which (maybe more than one) sources your "knowledge" and
estimations are based, and what exactly leads you to this beliefs?

How would you explain that the fusion reaction of the Jupiter
would be 9,4*10^10 (which is the result of your 30000 years in 10 sec)
times stronger as a MUCH bigger system, namely the sun doing the same thing?
The sun contains about 99% of the mass of our solar system. And it does all
day long nothing but constantly burning in a fusion reaction. Besides that,
the sun fuses mostly ordinary hydrogen atoms into helium, which provides
more energy than deuterium because of the higher binding energy in the nucleus.

gs