Re: [sl4] How much do languages matter for AGI programming?

From: J. Andrew Rogers (andrew@ceruleansystems.com)
Date: Sat Nov 29 2008 - 23:05:09 MST

On Nov 29, 2008, at 9:41 PM, Philip Hunt wrote:
> The JVM was slow when I last used Java, which was years ago -- has it
> not got faster since? Java *ought* to be compileable to fast machine
> code.

It is faster than it used to be, but for some codes C/C++ will still
run circles around it and bind external implementations into Java is
non-trivial. On the latest, greatest JVMs and compilers it is slowly
converging on pure Objective-C levels of performance, which is
perfectly adequate for most purposes.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers