Re: [sl4] How much do languages matter for AGI programming?

From: Philip Hunt (cabalamat@googlemail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 29 2008 - 11:22:36 MST

2008/11/29 Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com>:
> --- On Sat, 11/29/08, Philip Hunt <cabalamat@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have no idea what point you are trying to make.
>
> All programming languages are Turing complete. You can convert from any one to any other with a program that is insignificantly small compared to the 10^17 to 10^18 bits of knowledge needed for AGI.

You don't need to explicitly put that much knowledge in; the human
genome is about 7e8 bytes so clearly that is enough. Then you just let
the AI learn until it is fully intelligent.

> Perhaps you could describe your design for AGI, and why Lisp or Python would be superior to, say, English. (An English to Lisp or Python or C or x86 compiler would be about 10^9 bits).

You are making the incorrect assumption that I have a design for AI. I
don't. Although I do have a few ideas about how AI could be achieved.

--
Philip Hunt, <cabalamat@googlemail.com>