Re: [sl4] A model of RSI

From: Eric Burton (brilanon@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 14:54:43 MDT

>That's good. A single "kill all humans" AI is bad enough, but
>efficient TEAMS of "kill all humans" AI would make for a really bad
>day.

Yes, as depicted in Philip K Dick's short story "Second Variety",
robots so singularly bent on destruction would probably start to
compete amongst themselves. Notions of social cohesion could too
easily be bent to the ends of peace.

I think there is a congruence to the fate of selfish intruders to
altruistic societies here. Once you've enslaved the workforce and
monopolized the food supply your labour starts to dwindle. The only
stable mode appears to be to contribute as much as you consume. Robots
which only ate people would be totally maladaptive in the event that
no people were left, unlikely as single-minded machines to be able to
make the leap in ecological niches to eating other robots.

In practice the selfish behaviour of viruses and their ilk is kept in
check by a larger planetary equilibrium. No one organism could ever
threaten all life on Earth, so presumably the same applies to
machines. Presumably!