From: Bruce Klein (email@example.com)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2008 - 11:56:54 MDT
My fellow Singularitarians,
Registration is open for this yr's Summit -- limit 500.
Join us: www.singularitysummit.com
NEWS: Singularity Summit 2008: Opportunity, Risk, Leadership takes place
October 25 at the intimate Montgomery Theater in San Jose, CA, the
Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence announced today. Now in
its third year, the Singularity Summit gathers the smartest people around to
explore the biggest idea of our time: the Singularity.
Keynotes will include Ray Kurzweil, updating his predictions in The
Singularity is Near, and Intel CTO Justin Rattner, who will examine the
Singularity's plausibility. At the Intel Developer Forum on August 21, 2008,
he explained why he thinks the gap between humans and machines will close by
2050. "Rather than look back, we're going to look forward 40 years," said
Rattner. "It's in that future where many people think that machine
intelligence will surpass human intelligence."
"The acceleration of technological progress has been the central feature of
this century," said computer scientist Dr. Vernor Vinge in a seminal paper
in 1993. "We are on the edge of change comparable to the rise of human life
on Earth. The precise cause of this change is the imminent creation by
technology of entities with greater than human intelligence."
Singularity Summit 2008 will feature an impressive lineup:
* Dr. Ruzena Bajcsy, pioneering AI and robotics researcher
* Dr. Eric Baum, AI researcher, author of What is Thought?
* Marshall Brain, founder of HowStuffWorks.com, author of Robotic Nation
* Dr. Cynthia Breazeal, robotics professor at MIT, creator of Kismet
* Dr. Peter Diamandis, chair and CEO of X PRIZE Foundation
* Esther Dyson, entrepreneur, investor, philanthropist
* Dr. Pete Estep, chair and CSO of Innerspace Foundation
* Dr. Neil Gershenfeld, director of MIT Center for Bits and Atoms, author of
* Dr. Ben Goertzel, CEO of Novamente, director of research at SIAI
* John Horgan, science journalist, author of The Undiscovered Mind
* Ray Kurzweil, CEO of Kurzweil Technologies, author of The Singularity is
* Dr. James Miller, author of forthcoming book on Singularity economics
* Dr. Marvin Minsky, one of AI's founding fathers, author of The Emotion
* Dr. Dharmendra Modha, cognitive computing lead at IBM Almaden Research
* Bob Pisani, news correspondent for financial news network CNBC
* Justin Rattner, VP and CTO of Intel Corporation
* Nova Spivack, CEO of Radar Networks, creator of Twine semantic-web
* Peter Thiel, president of Clarium, managing partner of Founders Fund
* Dr. Vernor Vinge, author of original paper on the technological
* Eliezer Yudkowsky, research fellow at SIAI, author of Creating Friendly AI
* Glenn Zorpette, executive editor of IEEE Spectrum
Registration details are available at
About the Singularity Summit
Each year, the Singularity Summit attracts a unique audience to the Bay
Area, with visionaries from business, science, technology, philanthropy, the
arts, and more. Participants learn where humanity is headed, meet the people
leading the way, and leave inspired to create a better world. "The
Singularity Summit is the premier conference on the Singularity," Kurzweil
said. "As we get closer to the Singularity, each year's conference is better
than the last."
The Summit was founded in 2006 by long-term philanthropy executive Tyler
Emerson, inventor Ray Kurzweil, and investor Peter Thiel. Its purpose is to
bring together and build a visionary community to further dialogue and
action on complex, long-term issues that may transform the world. Its host
organization is Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence, a
501(c)(3) nonprofit organization studying the benefits and risks of advanced
artificial intelligence systems.
Singularity Summit 2008 partners include Clarium Capital, Cartmell Holdings,
Twine, Powerset, United Therapeutics, KurzweilAI.net, IEEE Spectrum, DFJ, X
PRIZE Foundation, Long Now Foundation, Foresight Nanotech Institute,
Novamente, SciVestor, Robotics Trends, and MINE.
Tyler Emerson, 650-353-6063
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Wed Jul 17 2013 - 04:01:03 MDT