Re: Moore's Law was: Re: [sl4] Call for information: Moore's Law

From: CyTG (cytg.net@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 02:10:39 MDT

Indeed. We had sorta the same debate a month back or so; was mores law a
self fulfilling prophecy or not. I vote not.
Looking at the graphics and timeframe around pentium-1 to pentium-3 and
ppro, I remember those days as Intel being a monopoly, it would dish out new
chips roughly 10-20% faster than the previous generation for a hefty
premium. You can do that when you're a monopoly.
But then competition came along and the situation changed, the race was on
again (the 1GHz race), and unfortunatly these graphs dont show recent events
(Pentium 4 and upwards).
I think mores law is a rough estimate wich hold its own while certain social
variables are intact, but its certainly not a "self fulfilling prophecy".
Can you think up a company that would rather compete with mores law than
with the competitor next door?