Re: [sl4] trade or merge?

From: Stuart Armstrong (dragondreaming@googlemail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 02:52:07 MDT

The interesting thing in this situation is that it gives a reason for
an entity with a fixed, certain goal structure a reason to
self-modify. If a merger seems probable, then an AI can best
prioritise its own utility by shifting it before the merger happens.

Interesting loophole to the "if an AI wants to not kill humans, then
it will never modify itself to want to kill them" type of arguments.