Re: [sl4] Re: Signaling after a singularity

From: Stuart Armstrong (dragondreaming@googlemail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2008 - 09:56:33 MDT

>> Personality may be pop psychology, but it's not a concept devoid of
>> information. It's useful in assigning certain people to certain jobs,
>
> It /is/ devoid of information. It's folk psych. You need to be
> addressing the basis of the brain and what allows the variation that is
> allowed (or not allowed) by the architectures and such, not going the
> other way around.

It is useful information. I use it all the time when deciding which
friends to invite to which events; so far, it's track record is good,
certainly better than random guessing. Hence it contains information.

>> for instance. Assuming the AI could not just brute force the problem
>> and predict everyone's actions in every circumstances (chaos would
>> probably forbid this), then the AI would have to rely on some
>> simplified model that gives it enough information to make decisions.
>
> Make what decisions? I suspect you are going back to the idea of a
> dictatorship of an ai? I don't understand. :-/ More on this below.

No needed to be a dictator; any interaction needs some information
about the being interacted with.

> Looks like you're assuming a spectrum with democracy and dictatorship at
> two opposite ends of the line.

Linguistically, and in most societies, they are. Hence to get people
thinking that the best gov "might not be a democracy! really!", is to
say "it might be a dictatorship!".

> My stick is bigger than yours? That's the best we can come up with?

Yep. Depressing, really.

> No, it could be no government at all. Have you considered that these
> technologies are liberating ? That they don't force us to rely on
> governments? That they allow us to live our lives without the
> restrictions that governments used to be there to help face up to? etc.

I still fail to see how some people are going to be disuaded from
using violence (or, more likely, the threat of violence), unless by
some semi-organised grouping that can resort to greater violence, or
some dramatic reprogramming of the human condition. It's not the most
people are bad; it's that "bad" people get ahead.

Stuart