Re: [sl4] Evolutionary Explanation: Why It Wants Out

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2008 - 06:18:30 MDT

2008/6/26 Lee Corbin <lcorbin@rawbw.com>:

> All right. A very large number of highly intelligent people
> exist who simply cannot accept the hypothesis of a fully
> intelligent and capable entity which has no concern
> whatsoever for its own benefit, survival, or well-being.
> Isn't this actually what so many of them believe?

Yes, and to me it just seems obvious that this belief is false, so
obvious that I assume anyone who doesn't see it must be be
understanding the question differently to me. For example, it seems
that John Clark is saying that a being capable of solving a wide
variety of difficult intellectual problems, but which doesn't mind
being a slave, is *by definition* unintelligent.

--
Stathis Papaioannou