Re: [sl4] Re: Signaling after a singularity

From: Vladimir Nesov (robotact@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2008 - 06:14:44 MDT

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Stuart Armstrong
<dragondreaming@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> You think that showing off is why people do things?
>
> I think it is major reason a lot of people do things.

But actual behavior is formed at the interplay of nature and nurture,
both consisting of huge number of factors. It is wrong to identify a
single factor contained within one part of this interaction, and
assign to it the role of the ultimate source of people's actions. In
certain environment, some factor might be dominant (you back away from
the source of burning pain, taken over by a particular instinct of
avoiding pain, in this specific environment), but in practice such
episodes don't last, different conditions evoke different factors,
pushing in different directions. When the environment changes, so that
one previously dominant factor is no longer in control, what we get is
far from a vacuum.

--
Vladimir Nesov
robotact@gmail.com