Re: [sl4] Is there a model for RSI?

From: Mark Nuzzolilo (nuzz604@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2008 - 11:19:24 MDT

I'll take a swing at this.

Let's start with the assumption that a machine cannot output a machine of
greater algorithmic complexity.
Now for a thought experiment put humans in that same category. A single
human would not be able to produce something "greater" than itself. The
details of this are unimportant. The point is that when you take a larger
group of humans, the complexity increases and you can now produce a machine
potentially greater than a single human. This machine could then improve
the intelligence or ability of single humans at a time, and then those
humans could then create a greater machine.

This is obviously not a "typical" RSI scenario but if my reasoning is
correct here (correct me if I am wrong), then in theory RSI would be
possible even by taking this concept and abstracting it to specific (and
properly designed) AGI components rather than specific components of a group
of humans (the humans themselves).

Mark Nuzzolilo