Re: Slow-fast singularity

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 14:17:45 MDT

--- Stuart Armstrong <dragondreaming@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Most posts on this ML tacitly assume a blindingly fast singularity:
> once we have self improving AI, we need to sort out Friendliness,
> incorporate it into the AI, and then just step back and watch the
> fireworks.

Fast according to which definition of time? Physical time, as defined
by the rotation of the Earth, oscillations of cesium atoms, etc. Or
perceptual time defined by the rate of increase in entropy of the
observer, like how 5 minutes seemed like an hour when you were a child?

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com