Re: Signaling after a singularity

From: Lucas Sheehan (lucassheehan@gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 10:17:31 MDT

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Stuart Armstrong
<dragondreaming@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The aspect of a post-singularity world I'd like to look at is the
> absence of signalling. If we had an advanced AI, it should be able to
> fully understand the personality and abilities of an individual human.
> If it would accept to reveal this information to humans, then we would
> live in a society with perfect understanding of each other.
>
> This would negate the need for signaling - people would no longer be
> driven to art, education, competitive sports, positional goods, and
> other ways of showing off. A good proportion of the current economy
> and culture would vanish.

I would have to disagree. Complete understanding does not necessarily
imply drastic change in behavior. Humans have always overridden
understanding and logic with emotional response. Why would my perfect
understanding of you mean there was no longer a perceived need for
competition, or creative expression? It could perhaps strengthen many
of the current social behaviors. For instance it could make current
disparities between groups much more visable and cause social rifts to
increase as such (rich and poor for example). Of course this does not
address the fact that a singularity might and probobly already would
have dealt with such disparities.

L.