Re: Happy Box

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Sun May 04 2008 - 05:18:53 MDT

2008/5/4 Samantha Atkins <sjatkins@gmail.com>:

> I disagree. No supergoal being better / more intelligent than another
> implies that the entities involved effectively have no nature, that they
> somehow exist in a vacuum such that whether their goals make conditions they
> live in better or worse for themselves and those around them is utterly and
> completely irrelevant.

The intelligent entities involved have a nature, but there is no
reason why their nature should have anything in common with yours,
mine or anyone else's. For example, consider an intelligent bomb whose
goal is to blow up a particular target. Do you really think that the
bomb would somehow be able to deduce that blowing itself up is a bad
idea? If so, please outline the logical steps leading it to this
conclusion.

--
Stathis Papaioannou