Re: Practical Benevolence, group selectionism (was Re: CEV specifies...)

From: Stefan Pernar (stefan.pernar@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2008 - 06:33:42 MDT

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Tim Freeman <tim@fungible.com> wrote:

> --- Stefan Pernar <stefan.pernar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You can find my paper on friendliness called 'Practical Benevolence -
> > a Rational Philosophy of Morality' at:
> >
> http://rationalmorality.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/practical-benevolence-2007-12-06_iostemp.pdf
>
> From: Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com>
> >In section 1.7 you state that existence is preferable to non-existence,
> >and that existence is defined as the ability to be perceived. From
> >this you conclude that it is the agent's interest to ensure continuous
> >co-existence.
> >
> >This is the crux of your argument. I believe it is flawed. Evolution
> >does not define existence as the ability to be perceived. It only
> >matters that your genes are propagated.
>
> So far, so good. If you've quoted Pernar correctly, you seem to have
> a valid argument against his point of view.

Yes he has and point well taken. Please see earlier post.

>Humans have a goal of being perceived by other humans. This is called
> >"ego". Tribes whose members desire attention have a competitive
> >advantage because ego leads to sharing of information, a common
> >language, reciprocal attention and friendship, and ability to organize
> >into companies and armies.
>
> This is less good. You're advocating group selectionism here.
> Apparently group selectionism is a rare event and individual selection
> is much more common:
>
> http://www.overcomingbias.com/2007/11/group-selection.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_selection

The group selection debate is far from over - particularly on a non-genetic
level as I have written about earlier: http://www.jame5.com/?p=25

Also see:

Joe Heinrich: http://www.psych.ubc.ca/~henrich/home.html#papers
David Sloan Willson:
http://evolution.binghamton.edu/dswilson/publications.html

Particularily: Wilson, D. S. and E.O. Wilson (2007). Rethinking the
theoretical foundation of sociobiology. Quarterly Review of Biology, in
press<http://evolution.binghamton.edu/dswilson/resources/publications_resources/Rethinking%20sociobiology.pdf>

My definition for existing is admittedly improvable.

Many thanks,

Stefan

--
Stefan Pernar