Re: Shock level 4 (was Re: META SL4)

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 26 2008 - 21:01:47 MDT

--- Lee Corbin <lcorbin@rawbw.com> wrote:

> Matt writes
>
> > Thomas writes
> >
> >> Are you totally neutral about the possibility of getting shot? If
> no,
> >> the former includes the latter. If yes, please seek psychological
> >> help immediately.
> >
> > My abstract self is neutral about being shot, which my emotional
> self
> > finds disturbing.
>
> But after careful consideration, you are going to *act*, based on
> which?
>
> Will you or won't you, after careful consideration, get the $10M
> for your frozen duplicate, given that only one instance of you can
> persist?

My abstract self is indifferent. My emotional self makes all the
important decisions. After I see my friends make $10 million this way,
I will do the same.

> > At SL4, an upload would produce an entity with your memories that
> > claims to be you.
>
> I think that you mean that this is an SL4 question. Your statement
> ---as is---literally makes no sense.

I mean that my abstract self concludes that it makes no difference if
the copy is "me" or not. My emotional self believes that the copy is
"me" as long as the original is destroyed. My abstract self concludes
that this belief is irrational.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com