Re: Self vs. other (was Re: Balance of power)

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 17:23:41 MDT

--- William Pearson <wil.pearson@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/4/23 Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com>:
> > Anyway, why does it matter what "self" is? Are your mitochondria part of
> you?
> > When you drive, is the car an extension of your body?
> >
> If it is possible to make computers part of a human self, through
> sufficiently advanced AI or whatever*, then it has vast consequences
> on the potential paths the world will take.
>
> If computers and the AIs developed later will always be separate
> "selves", then conflict and paper clipping are likely and FAI is
> needed. Not to say that humanity magnified by AI that has no separate
> self will be all sweetness and light. We are quite capable of causing
> conflict by ourselves.

You are assuming that if your brain were augmented with silicon, that the
carbon part would be in control. Information flows both ways.

In reality, an augmented brain would probably have a wireless internet
connection. It would matter little whether you communicate with it using
direct neural connections or use language.

I use Google as an extension of my memory. It partially controls what web
pages I look at. I just don't think of it that way.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com