Re: Shock level 4 (was Re: META SL4)

From: Thomas McCabe (pphysics141@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 14:15:30 MDT

On 4/24/08, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Mike Dougherty <msd001@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have reviewed Shock Levels. There is currently nothing that mere
> > mortals may discuss that is SL4. I spent a long time waiting for a
> > discussion that was truly on-topic for the list.
> >
> > Is it even possible for an SL4 thread to be discussed?
> >
> > I'll wait for an SL4 topic before posting again.
>
> I also reviewed http://www.sl4.org/shocklevels.html

See http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/michael/works/shocklevelanalysis.htm
for a more detailed analysis.

See http://www.overcomingbias.com/2008/03/heat-vs-motion.html.

See http://www.overcomingbias.com/2008/03/wrong-questions.html.

See http://www.overcomingbias.com/2007/11/thou-art-godsha.html.

> I can only do this in an abstract sense. I pretend there is a version of me
> that thinks in this strict mathematical sense while the rest of me pursues
> normal human goals in a world that makes sense. It is the only way I can do
> it. Otherwise I would have no reason to live. Fortunately human biases
> favoring survival are strong, so I can do this safely.

See http://yudkowsky.net/tmol-faq/meaningoflife.html. Be warned that
this paper is obsolete,

> My abstract self concludes:
>
> - I am not a singularitarian. I want neither to speed up the singularity nor
> delay it. In the same sense I am neutral about the possibility of human
> extinction (see 3).

Are you totally neutral about the possibility of getting shot? If no,
the former includes the latter. If yes, please seek psychological help
immediately.

See http://www.overcomingbias.com/2007/11/no-evolution-fo.html.

See http://www.intelligence.org/upload/futuresalon.pdf.

--