Re: Unbounded happiness

From: Lee Corbin (lcorbin@rawbw.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 09:20:40 MDT

Matt writes

> But my point is that if you expect AGI to make boundless happiness possible, I
> think you will be disappointed. How would you program a brain, or any
> intelligent system, to experience accumulated happiness that grows without
> bound?

We don't know at present. We assume that 30 or 70 years from now
happiness circuitry would be much better understood.

And then in the next email, Matt writes

> John K Clark wrote:

> > I'll just change the mean happiness quotient in my code from a 5 to a 6,
> > oh yes that's much better, I wonder what a 7 would feel like, wow that
> > was even better than I expected, 8 is really not that much greater than
> > 7 so it couldn't hurt to..
>
> You'll have to stop at BusyBeaver(2.91 x 10^122) (Bekenstein bound
> of the Hubble radius).

Very good! Few people understand the philosophical significance of
the Busy Beaver. Add just *one* neuron and the capacity of a system
is potentially increased by an enormous factor. We cannot begin to
imagine just how much pleasure a cubic meter of material could be,
or how smart it could be. Much less a Jupiter brain.

So I do not take "unbounded" literally. It really cannot be taken
literally. The reason for this is that the speed of light is constant.
If a brain gets too big, it ceases to be a single entity.

Lee