Re: Unbounded happiness (was Re: Property rights)

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 19:39:02 MDT

--- Stuart Armstrong <dragondreaming@googlemail.com> wrote:

> What would it be like to be an entity with potentially unbounded
> happiness? I'm not asking the question in a formal utility function
> way, but in a real, practical sense.

I would be like the rat pressing a lever that stimulates the pleasure center
of my brain, refusing food, water, and sleep.

But how would you create an entity that can experience unbounded happiness, or
even a large amount? How do you measure happiness, if it is not utility? Can
this program be happy? http://www.mattmahoney.net/autobliss.txt

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com