Re: Can't afford to rescue cows

From: Vladimir Nesov (robotact@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2008 - 15:22:39 MDT

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 12:59 AM, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Martin Moore <lethe07@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Inflicting pain on [non-human animals] is not ethical.
>
> A tribe which practices this ethical belief is at a competitive disadvantage
> against a tribe whose ethical system allows hunting. Which ethical system is
> "right" is irrelevant.

What's relevant is which ethical system is right for our tribe. We
need to understand how to figure out such things with precision.
Primordial fatalism is no match for self-watching deliberation. Future
still needs to be computed. There is no competitive disadvantage when
competition is void.

--
Vladimir Nesov
robotact@gmail.com