CEV of cows

From: Stuart Armstrong (dragondreaming@googlemail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2008 - 14:49:52 MDT

> I'm rather apathetic about whether cows are included in your utility
> function, but CEV comes closer than your approach to capturing what I
> want an AI to do.

As I've said before, I think CEV is not the solution - we don't know
what the consequences of CEV are, and, until we do, we can't approve
of it in advance. Just the fact that it is in some way an (extreme)
development of the moral views of myself and the rest of humanity is
not enough for me to view it as positive. I would not trust my own CEV
without strong reason.

But in this case, the question is simpler: do we include cows in the
CEV? What about apes, dolphins, rats, pigs, and the other smarter
species?

Stuart