Re: The role of consciousness.

From: Jeff L Jones (jeff@spoonless.net)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 20:22:55 MDT

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 1:08 PM, John K Clark <johnkclark@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > I have known several different pairs of identical twins
>
> My older sisters are identical twins, even when I was a kid I never had
> any difficulty telling them apart, although very few others could, even
> our parents sometimes got confused; but the fact that I could tell them
> apart, even from behind (they moved differently), must mean that the
> word "identical" in the term "identical twins" is misnamed. They should
> be called "similar twins". Their personalities were not identical
> either, certainly both could provide a long list of faults that their
> twin has, faults that of course they themselves lacked. They are two
> distinct individuals no argument.

I don't know why you and Lee both thought that I was saying that
identical twins were not distinct individuals. My whole point is that
you should not treat two distinct individuals like they're the same
person. Lee is trying to treat his copies as if they are the same
person, when they are different distinct individuals. I merely
compared it to the identical twins situation to illustrate how bad it
is to make such a mistake. I'm sure the two individuals in question
would be highly offended to be thought of as the same person.

Jeff