Re: What are "AGI-first'ers" expecting AGI will teach us about FAI?

From: Rolf Nelson (rolf.h.d.nelson@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2008 - 07:41:53 MDT

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 10:53 PM, Daniel Burfoot
<daniel.burfoot@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is an interesting question. I would say AGI is nearly ready if one
> could define a general purpose algorithm that provides the solution, or a
> core element of the solution, to a wide variety of tasks like face
> recogition, speech recognition, computer vision, and motion control; all
> without being specifically designed for those purposes.

Call this the Burfoot Date for now.

1. How confident are you that AGI wouldn't have taken over by the
Burfoot Date? "Take over the world to prevent other minds from
hampering my utility function" doesn't require any of the four
solutions you've mentioned.

2. Assuming AGI hasn't taken over by the Burfoot Date, how much time
would remain between the Burfoot Date and when the AGI takes over?

3. How will you proceed when the Burfoot Date comes up? How do you
believe others will proceed after the Burfoot Date?

-Rolf