Re: The role of consciousness (Re: The GLUT and functionalism)

From: Jeff L Jones (jeff@spoonless.net)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2008 - 19:41:39 MDT

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If you prefer, think of teleportation as equivalent to being tortured and then
> having the memory of the torture erased. This has zero utility to a rational
> agent because there is no change in mental state.

But this isn't a question about rational utility, it's a question
about ethics. In my opinion, it's unethical to torture people,
regardless of whether that fits with what you're calling the
"rational" strategy. In other words, if I get $1000 for torturing
random person in African, and only $1 for not torturing them... you
might say that rationally, I should chose the $1000. But that would
be unethical.

Jeff