Re: The role of consciousness

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2008 - 09:49:22 MDT

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 "Matt Mahoney"
<matmahoney@yahoo.com> said:

> Consciousness (in the sense of qualia or
> having experience) is irrelevant to the
> function of the brain or any other computer.

I also believe that is true, but if we are correct about that then there
is no way, absolutely no way random mutation and natural selection could
have produced consciousness UNLESS it if a byproduct of intelligence;
unless consciousness is the feeling data has when it is being processed.

> All I can say with certainty is that after I
> upload, there will be something that claims
> to be me that is realistic enough to fool
> all of my friends and relatives.

Forget uploading and electronic computers, right now at this very
instant all you can say is that if you are lucky there will be something
tomorrow that claims to be you that is realistic enough to fool all of
your friends and relatives, and even fool you; exactly precisely like
what happened yesterday.

  John K Clark

--
  John K Clark