Re: FAI prioritization

From: Tim Freeman (tim@fungible.com)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2008 - 21:57:00 MDT

Rolf Nelson wrote:

> 2. Publish a technical document, or better yet a computer program,
> that would produce a Friendly outcome, given infinite computing
> resources.

I think it can be done with finite computational resources. The
required resources for the relatively simple algorithm described below
are impractially large, of course. There's no practical difference,
so I'm nitpicking here.

From: "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@pobox.com>
>Actually, I suspect this is at least 95% of the way to a
>fully-functioning FAI, or UFAI.

Well, in that case the feco-ventilatory intersection is fast
approaching. My proposed solution is still out there, complete with
Python code that works for toy problems but can't run on real problems
and real hardware. The paper is at:

   http://www.fungible.com/respect/paper.html

There's one known bug. It seems fixable:

   http://www.fungible.com/respect/paper.html#bugs

Last time we spoke about this someone was demanding that we also have
a question-answerer, in addition to a Friendly AI. I sketched out how
to do that:

   http://www.fungible.com/respect/paper.html#asking-questions

There hasn't been any significant progress since last time around,
though. Having a day job and kids keeps me busier than I would like.

--
Tim Freeman               http://www.fungible.com           tim@fungible.com