Re: Hiding AI research from Bad People was Re: OpenCog Concerns

From: J. Andrew Rogers (andrew@ceruleansystems.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2008 - 18:26:14 MDT

On Mar 24, 2008, at 4:44 PM, William Pearson wrote:
> On 24/03/2008, J. Andrew Rogers <andrew@ceruleansystems.com> wrote:
>>
>> No one is so special that their crappy flavor of Yet Another AI
>> Project will attract any real interest from the Powers That Be until
>> the technology is sufficiently developed that it can distinguish
>> itself from all other AI projects by force of capability. At which
>> point, you have AI and the Powers That Be are a day late.
>

> Not all intelligent systems go FOOM*. Therefore it is likely that not
> all artificial intelligence system will go FOOM. So if you happen to
> be have insights into an AI design that you think will not go FOOM
> directly or unilaterally, your scenario is unhelpful.

Non sequitur. And in any case, I do not assume a FOOM scenario;
indeed, I have a history of arguing quite the opposite. It does not
invalidate my original point, which was that nobody will be paying
attention until such a time that tripping over it is unavoidable
unless you put a lot of effort toward attracting attention. This
argument is not dependent on the speed of the scenario, though outcome
distributions do vary a bit with scenario speed.

J. Andrew Rogers