Re: OpenCog Concerns

From: Edward Miller (
Date: Sun Mar 23 2008 - 15:48:21 MDT

I mostly agree, though I am not so sure that we need
to refrain from citing DARPA-funded papers. As long as
we specify no military use and make a serious effort
to enforce that, I think that is good enough.

I am open to counter-arguments though.

--- Daniel Burfoot <> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Edward Miller
> <>
> wrote:
> > I am wondering if it is possible to specify no
> > military use in OpenCog's license. Certainly DARPA
> > would love to get their hands on it if it is
> useful,
> > and maybe we ought not to let them.
> I think this is an excellent idea. The issue is deep
> and difficult, of
> course, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't at least
> try to do something
> about it.
> I imagine it would encourage greater participation
> in the project as well.
> I would like these issues to be more widely
> discussed. I wonder if one could
> achieve a critical mass of scientists who would sign
> an agreement to refuse
> DARPA funding, refuse to collaborate with
> DARPA-funded researchers, and to
> refuse to cite papers supported by DARPA (and also
> DARPA's counterparts in
> other countries).
> Dan

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ