Re: Friendliness SOLVED!

From: Peter de Blanc (peter@spaceandgames.com)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2008 - 06:44:38 MDT

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 21:19 -0400, Thomas McCabe wrote:

> I should mention conjecture #1,783: "on average, you always get a
> higher expected utility with rational beliefs than irrational
> beliefs".
>
> Anyway, unless the situation is rather extreme (eg, the bomb is filled
> with high explosive and shrapnel and it'll kill people), it should
> take a huge number of these incidents to offset the 'benefits' of
> utility function replacement. The monetary value of all the work Alf
> and Beth do over an average lifetime could easily total several
> million dollars.

You should be able to prove something like this:

If Alf is aware of Beth's beliefs (ie, Alf already has all the
information Beth has), then Alf should always choose to overwrite Beth's
utility function _and_ beliefs with his own.

(assuming a classical game theory setting; Alf doesn't care about Beth's
freedom of thought).