Re: Is a Person One or Many?

From: Jeff L Jones (jeff@spoonless.net)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2008 - 16:54:38 MDT

Exactly. I think the only reason John Clark and Vladimir Nesov are
coming to idiotic conclusions here is because they think that
anticipation is subjective or tied in with consciousness or identity.
While they can come up with whatever bizarre definition for identity
or consciousness they like, it really doesn't tell you anything
meaningful, because they are only talking about something subjective
(viewing someone as an "adjective" for instance). You can believe
whatever you want about identity, since at heart it's not really a
meaningful concept, and neither is subjective anticipation. But you
*cannot* believe whatever you want about objective anticipation.
Anticipating the wrong thing is going to cause most of your copies to
behave the wrong way.

Jeff