Re: Is a Person One or Many?

From: Lee Corbin (lcorbin@rawbw.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2008 - 23:21:55 MDT

John Clark writes

>> What about this: I no longer think of Lee Corbin as a thing,
>> but just refer to the "Lee Corbin process"?
>
> You may create processes just as you may create things but you are
> neither a process nor a thing, you are a description, a description of
> matter when it is organized like Lee Corbin. When you look at it like
> that all the "paradoxes" about identity fall away.

Well, as a matter of fact, I do believe that a person "is" a set
of patterns, a fuzzy sphere in the space of all algorithms. But
I also insist that this tremendous set get runtime, i.e., that
some actual time-dependent process moves on a trajectory
through this space. Therefore, no process, no person.

Don't tell me you've joined the Platonia camp, and don't give
a whit whether your process gets halted indefinitely?

Lee