Re: There's more to me than memories...

From: Lee Corbin (lcorbin@rawbw.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2008 - 17:15:50 MDT

Heartland writes

> Lee:
>> You would *not* say to yourself, "Oh, I guess I'm not Slawek
>> anymore. I must be someone else." No. You would say
>> "WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO ME? What
>> just *happened*? AND WHAT AM I, SLAWEK, doing
>> here? and why is everything blurry when I look across the
>> room? Whose body is this? It's not *mine*!"
>
>> I think that it's a *fact* that you would speak and think just like
>> that. You would then, surely, be forced to admit that you went
>> with your memories when they were transferred to California.
>
> Yes, this person in California would definitely "feel like Slawek",
> but why should "someone who feels like X" imply "someone is X"?

Because he accumulates additional experience just as the original
Slawek did. Consider: after you've been an hour in California
getting used to Lee's body and Lee's circumstances, then we
transfer your memories to Stuart's body in Vienna for that period
of time. (Yes... please! I know I'm assuming that "you" are being
transferred, but hear me out.)

When it's all over, and you're back in Slawek's own house in
the old familiar body, you would have no doubt that you had
traveled to California and then to Vienna.

Now if you want to say, "Oh, well, that wasn't me in California,
it was someone else", then answer me this: if you weren't in
California during that hour, where were you while all this happened?

Lee