Re: Is a Person One or Many?

From: Lee Corbin (lcorbin@rawbw.com)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2008 - 21:21:23 MDT

Stathis writes

> [Lee wrote]
>> There will only be a small window of future time in which
>> such a view is maintainable. As soon as one can quickly
>> and easily merge the memories of two extremely similar
>> selves, you will *remember* that you were at both sides
>> of that room at the same time.
>>
>> Then imagine copying and merging at a furious rate. It
>> will seem crazy to believe that another copy isn't you.
>
> Soon after merging of two similar entities becomes possible, merging
> of dissimilar entities will become possible.

Egads! Well, yes, it would become *possible*, but the resulting
creature... gee, it wouldn't be either of the two people who chose
such a drastic (and very problematic) merger. Quite another thing
altogether!

> It may then seem crazy to deny that We Are All One.

As long as I just have the Lee Corbin memories, I certainly am
*not* the GroupMind/AllInOne thingy. I will continue to deny
that "We Are All One" until my dying day, literally.

You had written previously Sunday, March 09, 2008 1:45 AM
under "Separate Copies...",

> [Lee wrote]
>> Naturally, I oppose the construction "if you are the one that dies"
>> because I consider you to be both of them. As you know, I
>> think that it's possible to be in two places at the same time,
>> just as it's possible to be at two times in the same place. (We
>> simply need to get used to the idea.)
>
> I'm a bit confused, because it seems you are saying that it matters if
> your copy near Sirius dies but it doesn't matter if one of your copies
> dies as during destructive teleportation (by which I meant what you
> described except that the original disintegrates during the scan).

Oh, it is *very* regrettable that one of my instances (in the originating
teleportation booth) must perish. I'd far rather have two instances
going than one. So it *does* matter that it dies. It just doesn't matter
much which one (except that in the case of teleportation, of course,
the whole point is to start being at one place even at the cost of no
longer being at another place.

Lee